Where are my Photos?

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Melbourne Street Walk

Street photography is not my strong suit. I don't like asking people for a model release and I guess I don't do enough of it to make a difference in my level of skill.

But none of these are reasons to not have a go. So at the encouragement from a mate and with the idea that there is safety in numbers we went into the Melbourne CBD where we both work for a street walk.

Had had ideas of the sort of shots we wanted and knew a few locations, but plans need to be fluid because the city is changing by the second.

We met at Federation Square on a Thursday night so there was plenty going on. It was a hot night in the low 30's (celsius) so lugging gear around was a bit uncomfortable.

I have a Lowpro slingshot which is fine if you don't fill it to capacity. So I lightened the load down to the 1D-X, 24-70 L 2.8, 70-200 L 2.8 II, 2X Extender III and the 16-35mm Wide Angle 2.8.

My mate had a spare Manfrotto Tripod so I used that.

We took some shots of Patrick Dougherty's Stickwork masterpiece but I couldn't get anything I thought was worth keeping.

From there we went to Hosier Lane famous for its graffiti. We spend 30 mins there lots of unique opportunities for photos. The lane is popular with photographers and can get busy - but we had the place to ourselves so we could take our time.

Here's a shot of the famous Joker. I like how the girl in the picture is lost in the graffiti, adding scale and mood. 
Melbourne City

Other shots of Hosier La can be found here.

Next we went to the corner of Lt Collins & Swanston where often you will see street dancers but there was nothing there that night.

We did notice the moon rising over the city so after clicking the 70-200 and 2X Extender on we managed some nice shots of the moon.

Melbourne City

A few metres further up Swanston St we came across some buskers who for two bucks were happy for us to take as many photos as we liked.

These guys were good fun.
Melbourne City

Time was getting on so we took some shots of the museum but nothing worth showing here.

It was a good night and something worth doing again some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment